Well, it's here, isn't it? Another December! The great news is that each of us still here too. We haven't starved. We have food. We have an unlimited range of possibility. AND, it ain't like it used to be, is it? Since we just celebrated all the things we have to be thankful for...that's a great energy to take into December. But...having an amazing December could be enhanced by some good design, or you may find it chaotic and unproductive.
Five Tips To Design An Amazing December:
1. Schedule The Time OFF - You know there are going to be lots of distractions this month, so take out the calendar for the month and put in all the days OFF you are going to take. And don't feel compelled to fill it all up. Just Say "NO" to those parties or activities you REALLY don't want to do.
2. Leave about 20% whitespace - Surprises will show up, both personal and business, so leave some room to fit more in without scrunching it into a completely full calendar.
3. Plan your client contacts - Will you be making personal visits to take by poinsettias, cookies or calendars? Will you be calling to wish people Happy Holidays? Since you have your time off scheduled, you can look at when you ARE going to work and make it super-productive!
4. Complete Your Business Plan for 2010 - You will be happy in January to hit the ground running, knowing what you want and the strategies to get there. (My Awesome Year Plan and Really Simple Business Planning TeleConference could help!)
5. Use Joeann's Rule of 3 - Each day, ask yourself, "What are the 3 most important items I could do?" This reprioritizes and recalibrates as you go along so each day you can look at what you need to do to be productive instead of just busy!
One of the most important ways you can make December, as well as every day, enjoyable is to heighten your awareness of what you say. As my friend, Mike Dooley says, "Thoughts become things." Are you projecting the outcome you want when you speak? Or are you focusing on negative outcomes you don't want? One of the most powerful tools to success is the intention and focus on what you do want!
Picture the best December you've ever had getting ready to unfold:
- There will be parking spaces everywhere you go!
- Everything you need to buy will be on Sale!
- You'll find or think of the exact right gifts to buy or make (we are MAKING a lot this year!)
- You'll have unexpected clients show up (and we all know the ones out looking in December are GOOD ones!)
- You'll be relaxed, not stressed...striving for joy rather than perfection!
- What else would make it wonderful for you? (Design it in!)